Monday 14 January 2013

Box Hill or Bust recommends....

Bikes and biking is a bit of a niche subject in terms of creative and lifestyle writing and it can be difficult to come up with interesting pieces that are not simply a variation on the same theme. I'm strictly an amateur at this and write from a purely personal perspective on the bike-related things I get up to but I do find it interesting that, when looking around the web, it appears that the number of similar active (amateur) bloggers writing regularly and solely about our favoured pastime is actually quite small (or at least I've not been able to find vast numbers doing it).

So, while Box Hill or Bust is obviously the most interesting, most informative and best written blog in the "blogosphere" [quiet at the back there!], what else is out there for our delectation? A handful can be found on the "Blog Roll" further down this page on the right hand side and for the purpose of this piece, I thought I'd highlight four in particular that I enjoy reading. And if this helps increase their audience in any way, then all well and good.

First up, "A Bedford Biker".


Written by Lizzie Lane, a young blogger and biker from (I know you won't believe this...) Bedford, this is written from the perspective of someone growing up with a love of bikes but who has only recently passed her test - so her's is a different and interesting take on all things biking (and in stark contrast to old gits like me who have been riding for years). This is an entertaining and well written blog and I really like her youthful positivity. She'll learn.....!

Next up, "Braais, beers and bikes".


This one is much closer to home for me - written by Andrew Wood (aka "The Rider"), a gnarled old rocker, drinker and biker who is based in the Western Cape in South Africa. Andrew comes across as a really good guy and this one does exactly what it says on the tin - it's all about braais (barbeques), beers and bikes and basically having a good time (all the bloody time, it seems!). It's a very entertaining blog, packed full of photos and I have to say that I'm somewhat envious of Andrew's lifestyle!  

Next we have "Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist".


This one is different again. Written by Geoff James, a British ex-pat nowadays living on North Island, New Zealand, who describes himself as a "Grumpy old curmudgeon on some occasions, mental age of 5 on others". Hmmm...that's quite close to home too! Geoff has been riding a long time and has definitely "seen it and done it", so to speak. He is also a longstanding IAM member so this blog tends to be a bit more in-depth, informative and sensible than the tripe I write.      

Last (but certainly not least), we have "Find Me On The Road".


This one is a relatively new discovery for me, written by "SoniaM", who is based on the West Coast of Canada. Sonia seems to be fairly prolific, having written 138, 137 and 111 pieces respectively in each of the last three years (where does she find the time I ask?!). I'm still catching up with all this content but again, this is a well written and an interesting account of biking from yet another part of the world.   

So there you have it. Four very different blogs and four very different people, each offering a different experience and perspective on the life that we love. Now I suppose I'll have to get to work and make Box Hill or Bust a bit better!

Happy reading.....

2 comments: