Wednesday 30 March 2011

Working in a bike shop

Working in a motorcycle dealership has got to be every bikers’ dream hasn’t it? It’s a dream that I was lucky enough to realise myself, albeit for a short time, many years ago.

Back in the 70s and 80s, Roy Smith Motors, based in New Malden, was very well known around the area of South West London and Surrey. In fact, Roy Smith’s, Tippets (Tolworth), Lamba (Carshalton) and Hartgate (Mitcham) pretty much had the area sewn up between them - and lucky old me went to work there in 1984, having trawled all the local dealerships by letter for junior sales positions. At 18 years of age, it’s where my real biking education began.

Roy Smith’s was a Honda/Yamaha main dealer and the largest (at that time) carrier of Yamaha spares in the country. It also stocked a large clothing and accessories range and had a very decent workshop – so, being the complete package, the showroom became a popular meeting place at weekends. This was a time when the big Japanese manufacturers held almost total market dominance. If it wasn’t a brightly coloured Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki the youngsters simply didn’t want it. The most popular bike that year was the Yamaha RD125LC – the learner legal version of the fantastic 350 Power Valve - we couldn’t get enough of them (or indeed the 350 version).


The dealership is where I learned about the importance of presentation and attention to detail – after all, no-one wants to look at grubby displays and dirty bikes. Similarly, if the sales paperwork isn’t right then trouble is not far away and it could cost the dealership money. In a business where margins are small, this stuff matters. It is also where I learnt practical stuff such as how to manoeuvre big bikes, how to assess helmet and clothing fit and how to deal with people.

 
Away from the busy times, the job was fairly routine, as you might imagine – cleaning bikes and adjusting displays, stock control, restocking etc. Roy Smith himself kept a fully working 1926 Velocette in the showroom so that was great for someone like me who was new to biking but he was not a particularly generous or gregarious man and was a difficult guy to gauge - and at a basic £60 per week with no commission, it paid badly for the number of bike and other sales I made for the shop. That said, what more can a wet-behind-the-ears 18 year old really expect? I got to know the guys in the workshop, all about the workings of the parts department and found out that I could sell. It was good experience and retail is good grounding in a lot of ways – sadly, customer service seems to be a dying art these days. Anyway, I enjoyed it so much that 7 months later I left to become a civil servant!

Today, the showroom remains, though Roy Smith himself has long since departed – instead, it is now owned by the biking chain J&S Accessories. Living close by, I go there regularly and every time I walk through the door, the memories come flooding back – and they are very nice memories to have...

15 comments:

  1. I worked at Roy Smith's and left in 1983 when I moved out of London. I worked in the spares department on the first floor, the manager was a diamond geezer called Bob Smithers. I've never been back, but have wondered what happened to the company. It was one of the largest dealers of Yamaha bikes and spare parts, so I'm surprised to hear it is no longer in business. Roy never had any children to pass the business on to, maybe that was the problem? I wonder what happened to Bill, Pat, Geoff, Steve, Kevin, Ade, Arthur, Tom, Anne, Ray, and all the others. And what happened to all the Velocette spares?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, remember Bob and his crafty fags. Bill in the showroom, whom I worked with, Nipper in spares....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked at Roys in the mid 80's for a couple of years. Actually worked there twice. Roy's still alive and kicking although he does not do the pioneer run anymore I noticed.
      Bob smythers was in the stores I remember. He worked at Roys until Roy retired and sold up. William aka Bill was the quiet Irish guy I worked with in sales. Roy was the best boss I ever worked for. Gave everyone a weeks money at christmas and on their birthday. Shame it's gone. I know pat (patel) from the stores still runs his own motorcycle spares company as his brother owns the motor ship in worcester park high street. Nipper was a mad man. He went to work for a motorbike shop in stretham last time I heard.

      Delete
    2. Hey, Tony G! Thanks for the news on the boys from Roys.
      I worked with all those people - Nipper was a character - he bought a green Mark 2 Cortina to go cruising up and down New Malden High Street.
      Pleased to hear Roy is still alive and kicking - he must be in his late 80s or early 90s now. I guess he sold all the Velocette spares too when he retired. Bill used to work upstairs in the spares dept until an incident between him and Pat, after which he only worked in the showroom. Bill, Roy and Bob went way back together. Anyone there remember Chris Adams?

      Delete
    3. Hey, that's me! Is that PvdL?

      Delete
  3. Wow, just stumbled on this discussion - I worked there too and also have fond memories. It was before you guys, eons ago, about 79. I was there for about a year and a half and they moved to the new smarter premises while I was there. The funny thing was I'm female. At that time there was only one other biking woman in the whole area. I bought my first bike off Roy - Yamaha RD250 and there was an older guy worked there (maybe Bill) who keep saying 'You'll never be able to ride it - you'll oil it up'. Proved him wrong though :-) I remember Bob well, nice guy but I wasn't all that chuffed with the working conditions but loved being surrounded by bikes. Left in protest at conditions but looking back really regret the manner of doing it - walked out on a busy Sat morning with two others in protest. Roy took me on in sales as he reckoned it was suitable for a girl but after a few months I persuaded him to let me work in parts which I did. But a percentage of customers were unimpressed as they assumed a girl didn't know what she was talking about. Anyway, good for Roy and Bob they didn't have a problem with me because I did know. I can't remember names now unfortunately, nice guys in the workshop taught me how to maintain my bike and some good guys in spares - yeah, I'd forgotten about Pat, it comes back to me know. So Roy was employing women and Asians before it was cool. Good on 'em! If Bob is still around and reads this - Sorry for dropping you in it that Sat morning! One of my mates there was Dave Bennet. Anyway know where he is now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well i also worked in the parts dept with " Nipper " !
    I left Honda Britain racing in 1983 and worked there twice too. I still talk to Pat after all these years . I must know most of you guys for sure .

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2Wheeladventures is one of the professional motorcycle rental service companies in Sydney. Over the years, we have been providing best motorbikes including BMW 1200’s. We provide broad range of motorcycle rental at affordable prices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked in Roy Smiths in the old Surbiton location in the early 1970's. Roy was a good judge of character and an astute businessman. He drove a showy Jaguar, but he always parked it somewhere out of sight. Roy's mum used to make sandwiches and sausage rolls for our lunch every day.
    It was a real pleasure to learn the parts business from Bob Smithers and Bill.
    I was a Saturday boy for several years, then I went off to university. It was a firm grounding in a tough business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo Paul, where the hell are you? The Z1R is waiting...

      Delete
    2. Hi Peter, I sold a 1967 Dunstall Norton 650SS to Roy in 1970, did you ever see it? I have been trying to trace the bike for some years now without success. Would you have any ideas??

      Delete
  7. Hi Everyone
    Hope someone picks this up. Having read the posts about Roy Smith Motors, I would like to add mine.
    Going way back Autumn 1977 is when I started. It was my first proper ‘Saturday job’ . My name is John Mccabe and I was the spare parts packer.
    Roy Smith was in Surbiton Road at the time.
    Sales and parts and the garage at the rear.
    It was two shops and a labyrinth of kitchen bathrooms and bedrooms upstairs that were filled up with spare parts. At some point in time they were flats above the shops.
    I was a bit of a green 14 year old at the time, but that soon was going to change. A member of the spares staff was a certain Jim Wickham, mad Jim as he was known. He gave most people nicknames. I was known as Winkle. Others I remember. Dave Bennet was Length. Julie Dunthorne was Thunder thighs. (Sorry Jules) Dilip Patel was Smack in Dilip. Frank Heywood was Quite Frankly Heywood. Adrian who had black curly hair was Smurf. Adrian Borghurst ‘Lem’ was A Drain Bogrust. Bill was mmmn mmmn as that was the noise he made. I think there was a bit of a drippy bloke called Brian who was known as snail. A girl that worked in sales was called Hazel. Also Bill Smithers with his roll ups and persistent swearing. Geoff was the head mechanic. Paul van de Linden as well in New Malden. Also in sales at New Malden was a Clive, quite tall with greasy hair and a pointy nose.
    I worked at the rear of spares in an old kitchen.
    I think they had 2-3 old guys that packed in the week Bill was one. I worked Saturday on my own. Duties also included tea making a couple of times a day. Some of the lads used to go to The Union pub opposite the shop forlunch.
    I grew up quickly and remember there was plenty of laughs especially Jim recalling drunken adventures. I got into a lot of music through some of the above names that I was unaware of. Captain Kremmen on the Kenny Everett show was s must listen on Sat afternoon. I recall the radio was at the back of spares and as many people as possible tried to listen, despite customers in the shop.
    I was there in Summer 1979 when the business was moved to New Malden. It was shut for 2 weeks. We had trips to and from each shop as I can recall most of the moving was done by the staff. Roy paid for everyone’s lunch during those 2 weeks. There was a nice cafe a few doors down in Surbiton Road that we frequented. I used to travel on the backs of bikes between shops. I recall Adrian had a Triumph Bonneville with Uriah Heeps, Demons & Wizards LP cover sprayed on the tank. I left in Sept 1979 for a ‘proper’ job, taking fond memories of my time st RSM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi does anyone remember the name of the motocross bike shop in the 80’s on Hook Road towards Chessington

      Delete
  8. You have outdone yourself this time. It is probably the best, most short step by step guide that I have ever seen. schwinn 170 upright bike

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Motocross shop you're thinking of was called Motorite I believe.

    ReplyDelete