Tuesday 15 February 2011

Revelling in my nakedness

About 6 months ago, I went naked for the first time in many years – divesting myself of all external accoutrements, exposing myself to the elements and embracing nature the way nature intended. And what do you know, I have found it to be a lot of fun and very liberating. Everyone should try it!


Before apoplexy sets in for those of a nervous disposition, I should say that this is not about me doing the fat German frau routine on a Spanish beach. No….this is about the rise in popularity of naked superbikes – otherwise known as streetfighters or muscle bikes and currently the big growth area in the European bike market.

Naked bikes are the basic form of the motorcycle stripped down to its fundamental parts – without fairings, screens, body panels, flash colour schemes or (for those of us of more advanced years) the exaggerated riding positions that are common on out and out sports bikes. Instead, the naked muscle bike/streetfighter revolution is about wide upright bars, a more amenable riding position, big engine lumps, attitude and aggression. These are hooligan bikes, pure and simple - and they take a different kind of riding to really make them work.

This style of bike has been successful in mainland Europe for a long time – particularly in France and Germany where they sit comfortably alongside the custom bike sector – and with the sales of traditional sports bikes in decline virtually everywhere, they are becoming a more and more popular alternative in the UK market. The likes of the Buell Lightening, Yamaha’s FZ1, the Honda CB1000, Triumph’s brilliant Speed Triple, the Aprilia Tuono, the KTM Superduke, Ducati’s Streetfighter and Monster and my own bike, the absolutely brutal Kawasaki Z1000, all selling in good numbers and showing that the major manufacturers have spotted the trend – that you can combine big engines with cutting edge technology, comfort, functionality and attitude in spades.

My bike....


Of course, streetfighters are not for everyone. From a recent trip to Belgium, I found out very quickly that the big Zed is no tourer. The lack of wind/weather protection means that high speed cruising is a chore and I was given a decent upper body workout just keeping the bike straight. However, on the plus side, it is perfect for town riding, A-roads and hooning round country lanes – and tuned up could probably make a reasonable drag-bike. So, it doesn’t tick every box but that’s fine as it was time to try something a bit different – and this bike is certainly different. I love it.

As to what the future holds, I don’t believe the naked bike market has in any way peaked. In fact, all I can see is further decline in demand for supersports machinery and a corresponding increase in the streetfighter sector. I say this for a couple of reasons, which for me represent the very essence of what biking is all about: these machines release the inner hooligan and they are fun.

So let’s get naked – it IS big and it IS clever….

No comments:

Post a Comment