Tuesday 28 June 2011

How old is too old?

There's a saying in biking circles which goes: "You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old - you get old when you stop riding." I agree with this wholeheartedly - with every fibre of my being.

I was reminded of that saying when I came across THIS story, on the excellent Visordown news page, about Britain's oldest biker. This is a guy that started riding during the reign of King George VI, and well before WWII broke out. Great Britain was still a major world power (that's how long ago we are talking about!), Everton's Tommy Lawton was the football league's top goalscorer and The Wizard of Oz had just become the first major Hollywood release in full colour.


Let's be fair here, 94 is a great age for anyone to achieve - achieving that age while still an active biker is, in my book, a terrific accomplishment. And he looks younger than I do now (and with more hair!) Personalising this story for a moment for the purpose of comparison, as a comparitively youthful 45 year old, I will have to live until 2060 and ride myself for another 54 years merely to equal what this sterling chap has done! Methinks that might be a challenge too far for our NHS....

I'll leave the last word to Reg: “I’m delighted to have been crowned Britain’s Oldest Biker. Riding gives me a sense of freedom; it allows me to get around more easily while enjoying the open road. Age has nothing to do with it for me; I’ll be on my bike for as long as I can."

Amen to that brother - Amen to that.....

3 comments:

  1. I love this! Would like to introduce him to my mum,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a good match I feel! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog you have and thanks for dropping by mine! I hope I'm still riding at Reg's age. Funnily enough, I did a post on ageing bikers quite recently too! http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/02/whats-age-got-to-do-with-it.html

    Safe riding,

    Geoff in NZ

    ReplyDelete