Wednesday 21 December 2011

It was only a Winter's Tale (tidy)....

So here we are....21 December 2011. Today marks the Winter Solstice and the first step towards the lighter evenings and longer days of spring and summer. It still seems a long way away of course, but we are heading in the right direction at least. Just need to get past the Christmas and New Year onslaughts first.....

I haven't posted on this blog for a while now - mainly through being very busy at work and the consequent lack of time to dedicate to writing it - so this midwinter point also serves as a reminder to try to get things going again. My loyal reader (note, singular!) would expect nothing less. When I started writing Box Hill or Bust (my first foray into the blogosphere), it was just a hobby - all I wanted to do was write a bit about bikes and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Would anyone read it? Why would anyone care what I thought about anything? Would it serve a purpose in any useful way at all? Well, I've actually enjoyed doing it and have been pleasantly surprised by the results.

This piece is the 50th blog, there have been 14,000 page views over the previous 49, with audiences in countries as diverse as the US, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, India, Russia and much of Europe. The Facebook page has 53 "likes" and everything has ticked over at a consistent rate despite nothing being posted since late September. Like I say, I expected nothing but have been pleasantly surprised. ...

So, I thank anyone who has taken the time to read my inane ramblings and I may have to inflict more on you!


Biking-wise, 2011 has been a reasonable year overall. The weather has been a bit in and out but on the plus side there have been no accidents, no "pulls" or tickets, nothing has gone wrong with the bike and there have been some cracking trips along the way - notably two long weekends in France (in spring and autumn respectively) and the Wootton Bassett run. For 2012, plans are beginning to emerge for long weekends in Northern Spain and North Wales/Anglesey, there's been mention of a trip to a speedway GP in Europe and I may try the odd trackday or two. Mrs CC and I are also taking a trip to South Africa in March, and I hope to be able to do the Hartie's run while in Jo'burg. And there will be the usual "spur of the moment" rides along the way, I'm sure.

It would be great to hear what plans you all have for the bike in the New Year.

For now, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous New Year - and remember.....four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.....

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bro if during your SA visit you get to come to the cape, which by the way has much more to offer in terms of biking than Jo'burg; like a day ride that takes in NINE (yes 9!) passes, then give me a shout, I'll be happy to show you around.

    ReplyDelete